Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND)

Children With Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND).


Dunstable Icknield Lower School’s SEND Register is a record of all children who receive additional support in the following categories.

Stage 1 ( previously known as School Action)

Your child is receiving extra intervention to help them achieve their expected level in school.


Stage 2  (previously known as School Action Plus).

Your child has an outside agency working with them e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Physiotherapist etc. currently or within the last 6 months.


Stage 3 - Education, Health and Care Plan   (previously known as a ‘statement’)

Your child has been identified as having needs that require extra help across the curriculum. They will be entitled to additional adult support for their learning and their teachers will adapt work to meet their needs.


What Can I Expect If I Send My Child to Dunstable Icknield Lower School?

At DILS we set out to help every child make the most of their potential. Teachers meet with parents to discuss any concerns that may arise about their child and consider how best to help and support the child’s needs.


How Does Dunstable Icknield Lower School Organise Support for Children with SEND?

Miss Law is the Special Education Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo). The role involves working with teaching staff to support children’s particular needs, advising on any particular strategies to implement in class and if necessary referring to any organisations outside of school that may be able to offer specialist support.

The SENCo can be contacted via the school office or on 01582 663709.


What Happens If My Child Has a High Level of Need?

The class teacher and SENCo will work with you from the start to make sure that the necessary support is in place. Our standard assessment procedures will be used to see if the support is working and adjust it as necessary. Targets which fall outside of our normal assessment for learning processes will be judged by the teacher in consultation with the parents. Depending on the level and type of need required, there may be additional adult support for your child in the classroom.


How Will I Be Informed About My Child’s Progress In School?

In addition to the two Parent Consultation meetings per year, parents are invited to reviews of the IEP  (usually one per term ). If necessary, Icknield teaching staff will also arrange to meet with parents to discuss their children’s needs at a mutually agreeable time.


What If My Child Needs Transport To And From School?

If your child has a statement of educational needs or an Education and Health Care Plan, they may be entitled to a taxi or bus pass funded via the local authority.


How Will My Child’s Needs be Met When It Comes Time To Change School?

If your child is moving up within our partnership i.e. to Priory Academy, the transition arrangements will already be in place and you will be made a part of the arrangements from early in Year 4. DILS and Priory staff meet regularly throughout the year and transition arrangements form a part of these meetings. Additional transitions requirements are tailored to the individual child’s needs.


Where Can I Find Out More?

For more information about support for families of children with a range of special needs and disabilities in Central Bedfordshire you can visit the Central Bedfordshire Council website to look at the ‘Local Offer’. This gives information about a range of issues, contact numbers for support groups and advice about who to talk to about your concerns.





SENCo – Special Educational Needs Coordinator – the member of staff in school whose role is to oversee the arrangements that are put in place to support a child’s needs.

IEP – Individual Education Plan – If your child is identified as having a particular need then it may be necessary to set some key targets to help your child. Information about the issues are set out on a document that also details how much support is going to be put in place, who it will be provided by and what strategies will be used. The IEP is initially prepared by the class teacher, shared with the parents, and after a specified period of time (usually once a term) is reviewed to check progress and set new targets. Parents are involved at all stages as their knowledge and support of the child is crucial.

Local Authority – the central county council department that has responsibility for schools and education.


Early Years Education – this covers the age range 0-5 years old. Child minders and nursery schools come under this category.


Statement/ECHP  -– when a child’s needs meet certain criteria the school can make an application for Statutory Assessment. If the application is successful then the school receives extra funding to provide extra adult support to meet the child’s needs.  From September 2014 this document will be known as an Education Health and Care Plan.